Saturday 9 April 2011

Classic Cocktail of The Month: Corpse Reviver #2

In order to bring some kind of regularity to my blog I thought of starting a monthly blog post to highlight some great classic cocktails.  Some of which will be the obvious classics as well as some more unknown recipes that I've took the time to uncover.  But these posts will not stop at just a recipe and a brief history of the cocktail, I will also demonstrate how knowing your classics is vital in being able to begin creating your own memorable drinks.

To begin my first "Classic Cocktail of The Month" post, I will be feature one of my favorites.  The Corpse Reviver #2, a perfect balance of sweet, sour and savory notes.  To those unfamiliar with cocktails or anyone who says "I don't like gin", this is the drink I make for them.
 The Corpse Reviver #2 makes it's first appearance in "The Savoy Cocktail Book" written by Harry Craddock.  Along with being an author, Harry was also head bartender of The American Bar in London England.  Published in 1930 The Savoy Cocktail Book essentially became the hand book for bartenders across London.

Corpse Reviver #2
- 0.75 oz Gin
- 0.75 oz Cointreau
- 0.75 oz Lillet Blanc
- 0.75 oz Lemon Juice
- Absinthe Rinse*

- Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker
- Add ice and shake
- Double strain in to absinthe rinsed cocktail glass*
- Garnish with lemon or orange zest

Corpse Reviver # 2


* To Prepare absinthe rinsed glass, put 2 oz absinthe into a olive oil mister and coat the inside of the glass entirely.  This processes will add a wonderful subtle taste and nose to the cocktail.

Remember, like the book says "Four of these taken in swift succession will unrevive the corpse again."


Epitaph
- 0.75 oz Saffron Gin
- 0.75 oz Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
- 0.5 oz St. Germain Elder Flower Liqueur
- 0.5 oz Lemon Juice
- Islay Scotch Rinse (I used Laphroaig Quarter Cask)

- Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker
- Add ice and shake
- Double strain in to Islay Scotch rinsed cocktail glass
- Garnish with Grapefruit Zest

Epitaph

I originally tried this recipe with all equal parts like The Corpse Reviver #2 but I felt that the Dry vermouth and Gin were lost amongst the other powerful flavors. Lighting up on the St. Germain and Lemon juice really balanced out the drink.  Post your variation on the classic Corpse Reviver #2 and I'll be sure to try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment