Saturday 2 April 2011

Brewing New Ideas

I am not a beer guy by any means and it's not that I haven't tried many.  I've tried probably between 40-50 beers but none have ever stood out enough to even make me say "I would consider buying this".  Given the choice I would order a cocktail over a beer 100% of the time but this past week I heard some co-workers talking about a beer aged in oak casks.  Although not a beer drink I am indefinitely a lover of whisk(e)y, Scotch to be more specific.  So when I heard about Innis & Gunn, a Scottish beer aged in oak casks I had no choice but to go to my local liquor store and get a bottle.  Upon tasting the beer I noticed it was quiet different from any other beer I've tried.  A great mingling of sweet and spice mixed with the clear presence of the cask to make for a perfect beer suited to my palate.  I wasn't going to stop at just drinking the beer straight, I had every intention on making a cocktail with it.


Revolving Barrel
- 1.5 oz Black Grouse Scotch
- 0.25 oz Galliano
- 0.25 Honey Cinnamon Syrup*
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1.5 oz Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer

- Add to shaker all ingredients excluding egg and beer
- Add to separate half of shaker one whole egg
- Add the spring of your hawthorn strainer to the shaker
- Dry shake with spring
- Remove spring, add ice and shake hard!
- Strain into chilled wine glass**
- Top with Innis & Gunn
- Garnish fresh graded cinnamon or nutmeg

Revolving Barrel

* Honey cinnamon syrup is 1 cup honey to 1 cup water with 4 cinnamon sticks over low heat until a even consistency has been achieved.  Let cool and bottle in fridge.

** Because you are not double straining this cocktail make sure your hawthorn strainer is pressed down all the way so the holes in the strainer and the spring line up.  This will make sure no ice chunks go into your drink.  I didn't want to double strain this one because I wanted the most foam possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment