Sunday 10 July 2011

Mixology Monday: Beer Cocktails

It seems like I just uploaded my last MxMo post and now it's that time again.  This month's Mixology Monday post is hosted by Fred at Cocktail Virgin Sut and Fred has chosen beer cocktails as the theme.  

"Beer has played a historical role in mixed drinks for centuries.  [...] Bartenders are drawn to beer for a variety of reasons including the glorious malt and roast notes from the grain, the bitter and sometimes floral elements from the hops, the interesting sour or fruity notes from the yeast, and the crispness and bubbles from the carbonation. Beer is not just for pint glasses, so let us honor beer of all styles as a drink ingredient."


I tend to go threw phases with my mixology and right now beer cocktails is one of those current phases.  So it wouldn't due justice to just post one of my all ready concocted recipes, not at all.  I think two new cocktails will due.  But as I've mentioned before in a previous blog post, beer isn't my drink of choice.  When I do decide to drink beer it's usually for "research purposes".  But in my last few months of "research" I have found some beers that I really do adore.  They all have one thing in common, they're all abnormal in someway.  Not you're typical ale or lager.  Whether It be flavored or aged for 77 days in oak casks, I tend to like beers with some very unique characteristics.

Weizen Ungeheuer (German for "Wheat Monster")
- 2 oz Maker's Mark
- 1 oz Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 0.75 oz Lapsang Souchong Syrup *
- 3 Dashes Lemon Bitters
- 1 Egg White
- Granville Island Hefeweizen

- Add egg white to shaker tin
- Add all other ingredients excluding beer to mixing glass
- Dry shake
- Add ice and shake
- Strain in to 20 oz pint glass
- Top with Hefeweizen

Blood of The Jimador
- 2 oz Reposado  Tequila
- 1 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 0.75 oz Ginger Syrup **
- 2 Dashes Regan's Orange Bitters
- Fruli Strawberry Beer

- Add all ingredients excluding beer to shaker
- Add ice and shake
- Double strain into chilled champagne flute
- Top with Fruli
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry




* To make Lapsang Souchong syrup brew 1 cup of lapsang souchong tea extra strong.  Add tea to a sauce pan with 1 cup of sugar.  Heat until all sugar has dissolved.  Let cool and bottle in fridge.

** To make Ginger syrup peel and puree 2 inches of ginger root. Add to 1 cup of water over medium heat in sauce pan.  Let simmer for 5 minutes and add 1 cup of sugar.  Heat until all sugar has dissolved.  Let cool and strain through fine mesh strainer.  Bottle and keep in fridge.

Another very fun MxMo this month has now pasted.  Thanks to Fred at Cocktail Virgin Slut for an awesome theme!  Loving beer cocktails right now and I look forward to next months theme.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely approve of any drink with Lapsang Souchong tea syrup. Thanks for your submission!

    ReplyDelete